Thursday, March 27, 2014

Out Of The Mouths of Babes

Before Josiah was born, every other Wednesday, I picked Ethan up from school and took him to music therapy.
Each and every time, he would ask if he could go to Grandpa's house. I reassured him, "when the baby is born Ethan, you can come and stay at Grandpa's." (I'm not sure why our house is "Grandpa's." Either it is an easier word for him to say or else Grandpa is his favorite.)

The day Josiah arrived, we drove down to see him. Ethan enjoyed meeting Josiah,
but was ready to go to Grandpa's. I ended up staying the entire day at the hospital with the new family, so Hilary, Elisabeth, and Grandpa went back to the house to pack a bag for Ethan to spend the night.

At home, Ethan grabbed two huge trash bags.  He emptied his clothes into one, and his toys in the other. He packed up his suitcase and all of his pull-ups.  He was taking all of his belongings and moving into Grandpa's house. He even had his bedroom picked out. Ethan believed me when I said that when the baby was born, he could come to stay at Grandpa's. I don't recall saying permanently or indefinitely, but I must not have said a couple of days either.

I guess I need to be more specific when making a promise to Ethan. He'll hold me to it.

Truthfully,
Joanne

"When I was my father’s son,
Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother,

He also taught me, and said to me: 
Let your heart retain my words;
Keep my commands, and live. 

 Get wisdom! Get understanding!" (Proverbs :3-5)

3 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

ohhh! How sad for him either way... Happy he gets to stay at Granpa's but maybe he thinks he's being set aside for the newer model. (No one SAYS that to a kid, some kids just THINK that way- I am in no way implying any neglect or favoritism! )
When my first grandchild was born, my youngest were four. I got home from the visit to the new baby to be asked by one of the twins, "Now that you are Grandma, who is going to be our Mom?"
Hope Ethan enjoys his visit and isn't to sad at having to go home!

Elisabeth said...

Can't wait to spend this time with him. Love you E bird!!!!

Mother Mayhem said...

Chuckle.

Sweetums also takes things literally. ;)