Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Life, Love, Pursuit of Happiness

Now that Michael and I are empty nesters, we enjoy spontaneity. This means we can enjoy our time alone and time with family. I love my life.

On Friday, we thought we'd run down to Colorado Springs to go Trick-or-Treating with Ethan
and Josiah.
As it turned out, we were nervous about leaving our house dark on Halloween, so stayed home. We went out for an early dinner. We've never gone out to eat on October 31st before. We drove to the Springs on Sunday and spent the afternoon with our favorite grandsons & Danny. Christina was working.


Monday Elisabeth came over. The two of us (or should that be 3?) called to video chat with Ivydee.  No answer. Shortly after Elisabeth left, Lauren called back. She was in the car, driving to Christopher's work. She handed the phone to Ivydee.

Almost immediately, this sweetie began blowing kisses to her Gramma. I turned the phone so she could see her Grandpa. He began blowing kisses and telling her how much he loved her. Lauren encouraged Ivydee to blow kisses back.  She was unmoved. I turned the phone back to my face and immediately she began blowing kisses again.  I love this girl!

After dinner that night,in spite of it being a cold evening, Michael and I decided to go out for ice cream. This is NOT usual for us. As we were walking out the door, I remembered Ryan and Brian were playing soccer nearby on an indoor league. Instead of ice cream, we dropped in to watch the second half of the soccer game. Afterwards, we went for ice cream. What a great night!

As Michael and I reflected on the previous 48 hours, we marveled at the precious time spent with our grandchildren and inlaw children. What a blessing grandchildren are, but isn't that a given? I feel the greater blessing is my inlaw children who are or will be the parents of my grandchildren.  Why don't we give more props to inlaws???

I often see posts on Facebook with sayings like "Share this post if you have a daughter/son/parent/dog that you love/think the world of/are proud of." But I would like to post, "Share if you have an amazing daughter-in-law, son-in-law, or parent-in-law."

Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and grandkids and think every single one of them is amazing, but I feel the same about Danny, Lauren, Brian, Travis, and Ryan (even though he and Hilary aren't married yet.)

After welcoming their inlaw children into our family, I watched my parents love, value, and invest in not only their grandchildren but the spouses of their grandkids and now their great grandchildren. I too, felt loved and cherished by my inlaws.

With our ever growing family, my goal is that Michael and I will continue to be spontaneous. Just the two of us sneaking off for an afternoon bike ride just because the day is warm and sunny. Or having dinner or coffee with our son's inlaws (or daughters') because we enjoy their company and consider them family too. I am so looking forward to the birth of our next grandchild, but also to the weddings of all who are marrying into our family. I want to take advantage of every opportunity to spend with family.



Truthfully,
Joanne

"For wherever you go, I will go, and wherever you live, I will live;
your people will be my people, and your God will be my God". (Ruth 1:16)




1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

I love this post. We are truly blessed.